Friday, January 15, 2010

Introduction to A Sandwich and a Poor Excuse

This short story entitled, "A Sandwich and a Poor Excuse," is the piece of writing that I have always been most proud of. The very first draft I wrote within a year or two after graduating from high school for some undergraduate English class. As the years have gone by and my skills have improved this story has gone through many incarnations, but it has always remained close to my heart.

One year when I was teaching senior English in California, I was inspired to share it with my students. I had just spent the week participating in various senior bonding activities, and watching most of them laugh them all off. I know from experience what the memories of high school will mean to you one day, so to see these students wasting this precious opportunity that had been given to them really bothered me, so I decided to share my story.

For that small group of students, I believe I changed how they viewed the last month of their high school career. In fact, they were so moved by my story that they went to the school principal and asked if I could be a speaker at their graduation. It was eventually decided that I would not speak, but instead I would participate as a name reader -- a decision that was just fine with me. It was very touching that these students wanted me involved.

I have often wondered if my story could help other students as well, but I have never been able to figure out what kind of publication would be the best for this kind of story. It is too short to be a book and too long to go into a magazine, so hopefully someone will find it here.

The reason this whole blog came about is because I wanted to share this story. This year is my 20th high school reunion, so I have spent a lot of time thinking back to high school and graduation. So in honor of our twenty year reunion I decided to share my story. My story is 99% accurate, and it will be painfully obvious which part was made up. I just think the made up part makes for a great dramatic ending! My purpose in writing is not gain sympathy or pity -- it is more just to open people's eye's to another side of life -- for people so see that things aren't always how they seem. I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment